The well known postmaster of Camden, New Jersey, was born in Philadelphia, May 29,
1844, and died August 1921 in Camden, Camden, New Jersey.
Louis T. De Rousse pursued his education in the local schools
until seventeen years of age and then began working in a lawyer's office of Philadelphia, at fifty cents a week. He was subsequently employed
in the office of the Philadelphia Ledger, but in 1864, at the age of twenty years, he put aside his personal considerations and offered his services
to the government, enlisting in the Eighth Pennsylvania Reserves. When hostilities
had ceased he entered the employ
of W. H. Horstman & Sons, of Philadelphia, with whom he remained for eight years. In 1874 he became a
Camden and was with Wilson Fitzgerald, a flour, feed and grain merchant, for some time.
Mr. DeRousse was involved with founding the
community of Delair (in today's Pennsauken Township). This was accomplished in connection with
Mr. Bonsall, editor of the
Camden Daily Post. DeRousse Avenue is still one of the main thoroughfares in the community.
Mr. De Rousse has taken quite an active part in public affairs.
In 1880 he was elected a freeholder from the first ward of Camden, and served one
year. He was elected comptroller for a
three-year term and was discharged his duties faithfully. He founded the Camden Republican Club
and was its first president.
In 1895 he was elected to the New Jersey legislature, where he served through the three succeeding years. In 1896
was elected speaker, and in 1897 he was the Republican leader in the house. He has studied closely the questions and issues of
the day and is an able champion of the principles of the party that has ever stood for the
protection of American industries and institutions
and which advocates the adoption of a sound-money basis and of expansion principles. His public
is one worthy of commendation, for he has ever placed the country's good before personal aggrandizement. He is now an efficient
and popular postmaster of Camden and his administration is invoking high praise.
Mr. De Rousse was married to Miss Anna W. Fitzgerald, a daughter
of WIlson Fitzgerald, and they became the parents of three children, In his social
relations Mr. De Rousse is a Mason, and Odd Fellow and an Elk.
In manner he is genial, courteous and kindly,--qualities which make him very popular with all classes. He has a wide acquaintance
among the most prominent men of the state, and inspires personal friendships of great strength. His marked individuality
and force of character have gained him leadership in political circles, while his genuine worth has won him uniform respect.
Went into flour & grain trade, but forced to discontinue because
1880 Became Camden County Freeholder representing the First Ward of
Camden. The next year, he declined renomination.
1880-1890 Camden County: CCHS was incorporated Feb. 21, 1899, with the
first board of trustees consisting of Louis T. Derousse. and
others. Another group of citizens including, Derousse, and Mrs.
Clarence K. Binder, organized a committee to establish a free public library in Camden
1884, Louis T. Derousse was a director of the YMCA in Camden, NJ
1888-1891 City Comptroller of Camden.
1895-1898 Assembly, New Jersey Legislature
was elected speaker of the House
1897 he was the Republican leader in the House
1899-1903 served as Postmaster of Camden.
Mason, Camden Lodge #15, F. and A. M. and the Tall Cedars of
Member of the Camden Lodge of Elks.
Grand Army of the Republic, Post 37.
A co founder of the Camden Microscopica Society. (Camden County Historical Society.)
He founded and was the first President of the Camden Republican Club.
Also an "Odd Fellow".
His father, George De Rousse, was born in France and participated in the battle of Waterloo under Napoleon.
Not long afterward he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, taking up his abode in Philadelphia, where he followed
his trade of boot-crimping. A faithful member of the church, his life was honorable and upright, and at his death, which
occurred in 1874, when he was eighty years of age, the community lost one of its valued citizens. He married Miss Christine
Steiner, a native of Germany, whose father was a prominent citizen of that land and served as the mayor of the town
in which he made his home. Mr. and Mrs. De Rousse became the parents of seven